Saturday, April 9, 2011

Measure for Measure 4 - Place, Bottom

Some Shake-Speare / Bacon parallels in Measure for Measure (4)

Shake-Speare:
Duke: “I love the people, But do not like to stage me to their eyes; Though it do well, I do not relish well their loud applause and aves vehement; Nor do I think the man of safe discretion that does affect it”.
Measure for Measure,1.1.67

Bacon:
“I wish you to take heed of popularity. A popular judge is a deformed thing, and plaudites are fitter for players than for magistrates.”
Life and Letters, 6.p 211

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  -
Shake-Speare:
Escalus to Angelo: “It concerns me to look into the BOTTOM of my PLACE, A power I have, but of what strength and nature I am not yet instructed”.
Measure for Measure,1.1.78

Angelo replying to Escalus: “Tis so with me. Let us withdraw together and we may soon our satisfaction have TOUCHING that point”.
Measure for Measure, 1.1.81-83

Bacon:
“. . .he complained to my Lord Chancellor of the troublesomeness of his PLACE;”
Works 7.p.170  (Spedding et al.)

“Embrace and invite helps and advices TOUCHING the execution of thy PLACE”.
Essay “Of Great Place

Common word usage - BOTTOM.
“the BOTTOM of his danger” Bacon’s History of Henry VII.
“the BOTTOM of your business” Bacon in Works 7. p.170 (Spedding et al.)

See also Troilus and Cressida 2.2.17  "To th' bottom of the worst"
Titus Andronicus 2.3.262  "Now to the bottom ..."
All’s Well That Ends Well 3.7.29  "The bottom of your purpose:
Romeo and Juliet 3.5.198    "That sees into the bottom of my grief?"

No comments:

Post a Comment