Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Parallel - Power and Place

First, Shake-Speare:


Escalus:                and it concerns me
              To look into the bottom of my place.
              A power I have but of what strength and nature
              I am not yet instructed.
Measure for Measure 1.1.77-80


also,      "My absolute power and place here in Vienna,  "
Measure for Measure 1.3.13


             "My spirit and my place have in them power, "
Othello  1.1.104


now Bacon: "Good thoughts ... are little better than good dreams, except they be put in act. And that cannot be without power and place."
Essay on Great Place (Spedding 6(2).399)


Comment:  This parallel is only worthwhile if the phrase was rare (which we do not know). Ben Jonson uses "place or power" in his Sejanus Act 5.612. It may have been the standard working of a commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment