Sunday, May 1, 2011

Promus - 32 Romeo and Juliet - everlasting rest

Part 2 - Parallels between Bacon's Promus and Romeo and Juliet
(with special emphasis on Promus Folio 112)

Part 2Z

R&J  Act 5.1.1-9

(Romeo in exile, and unaware of the happenings in Verona, has had a good dream):

If I may trust the flattering truth of sleep
My dreams presage some joyful news at hand.
My bosom's lord [i.e. my love] sits lightly in his throne
And all this day an unaccustomed spirit
Lifts me above the ground with cheerful thoughts.
I dreamt my lady came and found me dead -
Strange dream that gives a dead man leave to think! -
And breath'd such life with kisses in my lips
That I revived and was an emperor.

Bacon's Promus entry 723  (Folio 98):

"Mortuus per somnum vacabis curis" ["If dead while asleep you will be free from cares"]

Comment:  According to Mrs. Pott (who arranged an early printing of Bacon's Promus), this was said of those who interpret all things to the best, as by putting a favourable interpretation on dreaming they were dead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R&J  Act 5.3.110

(Romeo has sneaked back to Verona but found Juliet's body in the tomb. So he decides to join her there by killing himself):

         "O here
Will I set up my everlasting rest"


Bacon's Promus entry 1206  (Folio 112):

Longa quiescendi tempora fata dabunt ["Death will give a long time for resting"]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of the Bacon Promus parallels with Romeo And Juliet
Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment